University Mental Health Research Institute - Program against Stigma because of Mental Illness "anti-stigma", Athens, ELThe University Mental Health Research Institute (U.M.H.R.I.) was founded in 1989 - originally as the Academic Research Institute on Mental Health. UMHRI is linked and has closely collaborated in various projects with the Athens National Technical University, the Democritos National Research Center, the Foundation of Biomedical Research Academy of Athens and the Institute of Accelerating Systems and Applications.
The Program against Stigma because of Mental Illness "anti-stigma", is part of WPA's Global Program against Stigma and Discrimination because of Schizophrenia "Open the Doors", which in Greece has been further developed to encompass other mental illnesses like bipolar disorder and depression.
U.M.H.R.I. is the seat of:
- The WHO Collaborating Center for Research and Training in Mental Health.
- The International Committee for Prevention and Treatment of Depression (PTD Committee).
- The Greek Division of the World Psychiatric Association (WPA) Global Program Against Stigma and Discrimination because of Schizophrenia.
The Program against Stigma because of Mental Illness "anti-stigma" aims to:
- Raise awareness and improve knowledge about mental illness and the available treatment options.
- Improve public attitudes towards people with mental illness.
- Generate specific actions to prevent or eliminate discrimination and prejudice.
Mission StatementUMHRI activities involve:
- Neuropsychiatric Genetics
- Social Psychology
- Social Psychiatry
- Health Education and Promotion of Mental Health
- Vocational training Center
- Specialized Center of Social and Vocational Rehabilitation for People with Special Needs
- Post - graduate training programs (cognitive therapy - systemic family and marital therapy)
- Program against Stigma because of Mental Illness "anti-stigma"
- Greek National Focal Point (The Greek Reitox Focal Point of the European Monitoring Center for Drugs and Drug Addiction)
- Psychosocial and Vocational Rehabilitation Unit (P.V.R.U.)
- Hostels (2)
- Protected Apartment (1)
The Program "anti-stigma" was the first national initiative in Greece designed to fight the myths and misunderstandings that surround mental illness.
The main axes of the program are the following:
- Knowledge and attitude surveys addressing the general population and specific population groups (medical students, mental health professionals, high school students, consumers and relatives).
- Representation of mental illness in the mass media.
- Awareness campaigns for the general public on schizophrenia, bipolar disorder and depression
- Training programs for High - school students
- Working with employers and police officers
- Working with the media (promotional materials - TV spots)
- Volunteer network
- Stigma busters
- Scientific and cultural events
- Advocacy initiatives
- Psychoeducational interventions for consumers and family members
- Marina Economou, MD, PhD, Assoc. Professor of Psychiatry
- Eleni Louki, MEd, Psychologist
- Maria Charitsi, MSc, Psychologist
- Eleonora Kanellopoulou, MSc, Psychologist
ContactUniversity Mental Health Research Institute
Soranou tou Efesiou 2
P.O. Box: 66517
Tel: +30 210 6170819 /22
Fax: +30 210 6519796